Rocket's Gorgeous in the City

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Learning to exercise

I've just arrived home from a jog in the park. Although I've never been unfit and always loved to move, you could never say I was one for exercise. But for the benefit of my readers, I'm willing to try an exercise programme and share the results.

I decided to start exercise because it's the only way I have to tell my body "do better". I would like to gain some strength and endurance, and I really want to improve my appearance. I chose jogging because it's great for my legs and thighs and because I can do it for free in the park at the bottom of the street.

I often feel uncomfortable jogging in the park because I'm no good at it. I've tried to start so many times and decided I'd rather not because people are out with their dogs. I decided to push past that today. I didn't see many people, which helped, but I need to remember that I don't know these people so it doesn't matter what they think. Even if I did see someone I know, that person would probably be pleased to see me out running!

I did a small loop and then ran out of breath. As I slowed down to a walk, I noticed that my body was tingling. I had this sensation a few times while I was out. I guess it's my body getting used to the oxygen flowing through to my muscles. It went away after a while and I started to feel more peaceful and confident. This must have been those "endorphins" I heard about.

I only spent about half the time really running - otherwise I just walked normally. The point of exercise is to move beyond my comfort zone, and my heart was thumping away the whole time, so I was pleased with my efforts.

After about 25 minutes I got a "stitch" and had to go home. Everyone's had this at some point. It's a cramp in the abdomen caused by the unusual oxygen levels in the muscle. When I placed my hand over the part of my abdomen where the pain was, I could feel the muscle spasm. It was only a mild pain and it cleared up after a few minutes.

Another problem for me was the discomfort of perspiring. I don't usually get very sweaty, so it was a bit weird to arrive home with sweat on my face and body. I think it smells bad, but as I've been straight to work on this piece, I haven't had the opportunity to think about it, so I guess it's not that bad!

Overall, I'd say the exercise was challenging and made me feel different - not good or bad. I can understand how people get accustomed to exercise, and I look forward to tomorrow's run. Part of me wants to get back out there, but I've had my 25 minutes today so I've probably done enough.

11 Comments:

  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger George Forgan-Smith said…

    Hey there Great Blog! I'll be checking this one out on a regular basis.

    If you are interested I have a site all about acne treatment . Perhaps you would like it. It's got great info all about acne treatment .

    Have a great day

    George

     
  • At 7:11 PM, Blogger Rocket said…

    Some people complain about comment spam, but how can I be upset when they're so polite about it?

    Thanks George. I don't have acne but good luck with that website of yours.

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger shrover said…

    Hey! Acne spam! Kewl. And they even went to the trouble of making up a silly name (although could do better).

    Must go and check out his blog and get some zit tips. You never know when you might revert to a teenager again.

    I took up jogging two years ago. Absolutely enormous benefits fitness-wise and general good feeling. But it is so mind-numbingly fucking boring I quit. I can't put my brain on hold that long.

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger shrover said…

    Rocket! You're not a Frakesophile are you????!!!!

    Shocked.

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger Rocket said…

    I HEART FRAKES!! Who told you?

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger shrover said…

    I lurk on TSSH... I'm ever alert to Trek references.

    Also the proud owner of the Thunderbirds film.

    Well, my kids are, actually, but I didn't mind it even though it got shitcanned.

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger Rocket said…

    My dad has nigel sitting on his desk. But there were heaps of thunderbirds movies - what do you have?

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger shrover said…

    Oh I mean the recent one. You know, with actual people, like that Gandhi dude.

    I've got at least one of the old movies, and some of the series. The strings show up so well on DVD.

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Rocket said…

    The puppets are what makes it special. In Thunderbirds Are Go, they brought in a real band as guest stars then made little puppets of all of them. Watching that little puppet lead singer doing his puppet dance was the highlight not just of the movie, but my entire week!

    On an unrelated note - have you seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yet? Totally for nerds and geekers! Take the whole family! My girlfriend Sugar and I were the only people laughing in the whole cinema, but we were rolling in our chairs.

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger shrover said…

    Rocket not just any old band but Cliff Richard and the Shadows!!!!!! About the only band on the planet, even in the sixties, who were more alive as puppets than in rool life.

    I got off Charlie & The Chocolate Factory duty but had to do Wallace & Gromit duty last weekend. Like the blog says, I thought it was great. Gimme Claymation over Supermarionation any day...

     
  • At 11:53 PM, Blogger Rocket said…

    Um, yeah. That band. Very nice.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home