Rocket's Gorgeous in the City

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Get your Summer Sunnies

As noted on my unpopular personal blog, my wrists are getting a little weak. Thus, posts will be short.

The best place to get sunnies is still your local chemist. They have a variety of shapes and colours so you'll find something that suits your face and suits your style. They are usually quite plain, so you don't have to worry about matching. And best of all, you're not getting ripped off.

Logos on sunnies are really annoying. There's even a brand that has "rich" written down the side - a perfect way to alert people to the fact that you're not.

Expensive logos indicate a personality crisis, and cheap logos indicate personality crisis combined with total lack of clue.

The only logo I wear is Tux - because I think he's great. I'm not a computer programmer, but I'll happily contribute to the Creative Commons, which I consider to be a sort of sister project to linux.

So head down to your chemist and try on a pair of Polaroids. Nobody will notice them and comment on them... but that's what you want. You should be wearing your glasses - not the other way around. You'll look fantastic in the right pair, and if that attracts comments, you'll be successful at sunglasses fashion.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:28 AM, Blogger jude the obscure said…

    Logo-emblazoned fake designer sunglasses are the penultimate in disgusting vulgarity, second only to logo-emblazoned fake designer handbacks. Sounds like you're a woman of taste. Good for you.

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger shrover said…

    I only use sunnies for driving in summer. I picked the most garish-lensed ones I could find at the petrol station. I like people to see my eyes. Given I don't have much going for me except nice eyes, I prefer not to hide them.

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Bruce said…

    Ms. Rocket, now that summer is here can I consult you (as the only blog I know that seems an expert on fashion) about "office attire".

    I have observed on the hotter days there is a large gap between what is acceptable for men and women with regards to what is acceptable for wearing to work. As a bloke I may be able to get away with not wearing a tie. Shorts are out of the question and a short sleeved shirt is possible on Fridays only. Yet a woman may wear what is essentially a skirt, singlet and pair of thongs. Neat versions but still that's what it boils down to.

    Is this really a professional way to dress? What are my options to beat the heat without giving up my sense of professionalism?

    Help me out here.

     
  • At 6:50 PM, Blogger Rocket said…

    That's an interesting question. I'm not sure if you're taking the piss but I feel inclined to write a story on that very topic.

    Now that I'm back on deck after finishing my piano exam, I'll whip you up a something nice.

     
  • At 1:20 AM, Blogger jude the obscure said…

    I like the Japanese short-sleeved suit thing...but that may take a while to catch on elsewhere.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Rocket said…

    Meh. If it's a short sleeved suit, it's a safari 70s suit. Too many bad memories.

    Remember, Japan is also the country that brought you carbon-filter underpants to remove the odour from gaseous accidental ... oh, you know, from farts.

    And Japan is also responsible for suits that have fragrance molecules woven into the fabric that are released gradually when the suit is warm (i.e. being worn). Mmm... minty suit smell...

     
  • At 3:08 AM, Blogger jude the obscure said…

    Japan pioneers--they slip up and do plenty of goofy things, but at least they do put their energy into innovating new solutions.

    And I think the fart-neutralizing underpants thing is a good idea.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home